The bridges of Rouen
There are 6 road bridges that allow you to cross the capital of Normandy from one bank to the other while admiring the Seine: Jeanne d’Arc Bridge, Boieldieu Bridge, William the Conqueror Bridge, Mathilde Bridge, Pierre Corneille Bridge and Gustave Flaubert Lift Bridge.
The bridges of Rouen can be used on foot, by bike or by car. They are essential to the daily life of Rouen residents and very convenient for tourists to visit the city. The bridges of Rouen also allow you to have an unobstructed view of the Seine, the barges and the quays of the Seine.
The Mathilde BridgeThe first bridge of Rouen
Built in 1979, with a length of 585 meters, its access was modified in 2002. It is a road bridge over the Seine in Rouen constituting a major north-south traffic axis for its metropolis.
The Boieldieu BridgeMonumental sculptures
Named in honor of the Rouen composer, this bridge was commissioned in 1955 to replace the nineteenth-century bridge destroyed during the war.
The pre-war bridge was immortalized on several occasions by the impressionist painter Camille Pissarro. One of his masterpieces showing his virtuosity in rendering light is preserved in the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Rouen.
On its site was a much older structure: the stone bridge built in 1160 by Mathilde the Empress. Long the only bridge in Rouen, it was from its deck that Joan of Arc’s ashes were scattered in the Seine after her execution at the stake on May 30, 1431. A marble plaque on the right bank bears the memory of this event.
The current bridge is a veritable concentration of outdoor art.Two massive stone statues have stood at each end since the late 1950s. On the north side, sculptor Jean-Marie Baumel depicted, on the one hand, the navigator Robert Cavelier de La Salle leading an expedition, and on the other, the Normans on a boat. While on the south bank, Georges Saupique chiseled allegories of the Ocean, the Seine and its tributaries.
Since 2007, a series of 10 bronze busts by Norman sculptor Jean-Marc de Pas has been installed on the bridge. They feature famous explorers such as Marco Polo, Jean de Béthencourt and Fernand de Magellan, who remind us of the opening of the port of Rouen to the world.
How about a dive into the archives?
Here, the archives of Elbeuf and the surrounding municipalities since the XVIthcentury are collected, via the Heritage Archive Center. That’s over 3 km of archives! Take a seat in the reading room. It is possible to consult a microfilm, old photos, newspaper articles from the period or old correspondence.
A real leap in time, at the same time playful, moving and instructive. workshops and visits are organized to guide you through this mine of testimonies, real treasures to learn more about our ancestors and their way of life. The place also aims to raise public awareness of its local heritage via the Centre d’Interprétation de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine (CIAP).
A permanent exhibition presents the architectural and urban evolution of the Elbeuvian territory through films, models and architectural theaters.
William the Conqueror BridgeFigure of the history of Normandy
The Guillaume le Conquérant bridge was built in 1967. Prior to the construction of the Flaubert Bridge, it was the last road bridge over the Seine, providing a physical limit to the upstream movement of seagoing vessels.
The Flaubert bridgeBetween aesthetic and technical prowess
The Gustave-Flaubert Bridge is the latest addition to Rouen’s bridges. Named “6th bridge” before a choice validated by public consultation, it marks the limit of the river accessible to maritime vessels. Officially commissioned on September 25, 2008, after four years of work, it is now the highest lift bridge in Europe: 2 decks of 1300 tons long 86 m that can be lifted to 55 m.
The Pierre Corneille bridgeA "circumflex" bridge
This bridge occupies the same place as the old stone bridge destroyed in 1940. Built in 1952, it is constructed of steel and has the distinction of having been at its time the longest welded bridge in France. The central massif that supported the statue of Pierre Corneille has not been restored. In its place, a garden occupies the end of the Lacroix Island, which it spans.
Joan of Arc BridgeIn the footsteps of the Pucelle
The Joan of Arc Bridge was inaugurated in 1956. Built of welded steel and supported on two piers.
The Metro has been running on the bridge since the 1990.